22 August 2008

Pondering.... career + baby

With the adoption delay, I have been keeping myself busy with my work. And GIRL, have I been busy! I just did a show, The American Craft Show at Fort Mason in San Francisco selling my jewelry and whew what a lot of work.

Women friends of mine who have had their babies and are still running their business.... I AM WATCHING YOU CLOSELY. How is it possible to fit the new little one into an already busy life?

I'd love to hear from you mothers.... from both kinds....those who work & those who are raising their babies without following a career path. What do you love about your life? What do you miss? What can you share? And how do you do it all or why are you glad you don't do it all?

I know that babies just manage to fit into our lives, but some days I just wonder how it will all work out? After the weeks I've just had, staying home with 2 kids seems pretty relaxing. (in theory)

I'm still madly looking forward to meeting baby o....but some days I bet even when they are in your arms, you still wonder. How will it all turn out?

Well I'm off to Hawaii to ponder this question some more. Maybe the moist, flowery Hawaiian air will give me some insight. I know the last post I was laying in a hammock but really I didn't get enough.

Aloha!

***baby shoes above, brought to you by my beautiful & creative adopted niece Anu & her lovely, thoughtful mom Elaine. They are just back from a trip to visit Anu's birth land, Nepal. Anu is also excited to meet her cousin baby o...the next adopted member of our family. Anu is trying to guess baby o's future name.

I'll never tell.

We are all waiting for you baby o!

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

The Nepalese slippers are marvelous!

About being a working mother, it's very difficult. It works for me because my partner participates fully in daily tasks, we have a great daycare situation, and my child sleeps well. I never considered not working at all, but in the first year of his life, I did work less.

What have I given up? Spontaneous outings, movies and concerts...and my house and garden are not quite as well-tended. Also, marriage changes. I feel it's less a romantic relationship, but stronger overall.

I'm glad you're getting away and enjoying life and doing what you want to do now!

Elaine Vaughan said...

Awww - thanks April for the photo and kind words - it looks to me as if those slippers are now just waiting to be filled!

Love to you and Eric and Baby 0 -

Elaine and Anu