19 June 2008

Good News / Bad News (but mostly good news)


I went to my homestudy adoption agency yesterday in San Francisco to pick up the last pile of notarized paperwork. Yeah!

Last (I hoped) to San Francisco City Hall, to pick up copies of my marriage certificates. You know the ones that were suppose to come by mail weeks ago.

Well surprise, June 18th was the first official day for same sex marriages! So lots of action and marriages happening in the rotunda. I can't tell you what a sense of joy it brought me to see just about every combination of folks getting married. Families in tow, hugging & talking photos. I felt so honored to attended. (uninvited) to witness this day. I have a strong sense of justice and this just made me feel good. That families could be blended in whatever form felt right for them.

Last summer, I had a couple in my gallery I was making rings for. They had their two kids with them. I asked them if these were their updated wedding rings. No, they were both divorced and had found each other after they both had had kids with their first partner. The woman turned to me and said; "We are a blended family!" She was so comfortable with her answer and it made perfect sense to me. I have now thought about that comment a lot. There are a lot of blended families out there. And when you adopt, you are a blended family.

Oh and as for the marriages certs! GOT 'EM! After they were in my hot little hands, I enjoyed the marriages of several couples and soaked in a day of equality!

Well and the bad news is, today I was looking though my newly notarized paperwork AAAAAAHHHHH............... one document is still missing.

The good news is, the agency is fed-xing it to me tomorrow. (fingers crossed)
Soon to Sacramento.

So mostly good news and a treat to be at under the dome at San Francisco's City Hall on June 18, 2008! ...maybe a historic day for many of us who want to expand our families.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Yeah, I got all emotional about all the weddings yesterday, too. A friend/client of mine, and his new husband were the very first to get married yesterday. I'm so happy for them.

I also had the pleasure of being married under that beautiful rotunda once upon a time. It's a great place to get hitched! My ex and I still smile whenever we talk about it.

-Suzanne

April Taylor said...

Well, we are super excited because Zach's sister is one of those thousands applying for a license. She and her partner of a decade are finally able to tie the knot!!! Now if only my 2 moms could do the same after 18 years together, but oh well. You must feel really proud to live in California.

So, my fellow April and soon to be mama, we are headed your way in August for a wedding in San Francisco. We will have our little Kyrgyz man with us (and our 2 Kazakh devils) and would love to meet you. Maybe we will find your gallery, or maybe we could meet up for coffee or something.

Congrats on the paperwork progress. You'll be done before you know it.

Cheers!
April Taylor

Suzanne said...

April T, you're not leaving the Bay Area without meeting me, too!

Suzanne

Jeanne said...

Me too--I'm as delighted as the rest of you about the weddings.

Me too--want to be part of April T.'s visit!