05 February 2010

Baby Blessing Party 01.24.10

We had a Baby Blessing Party a couple of weeks ago~given to us by family & friends. It was big & wonderful to see our community show up for this momentous event. We hosted it more like and open house with yummy food. We are not ones to exclude and it got quite big. But it was wonderful to see everyone and I was happy we invited women, men & children. I'm not so into the traditional baby shower. We love our friends & family. So nice everyone could turn out!

As I got dressed in my black maternity dress, one of the only things that fits me, I felt like I was getting ready for my second wedding. It felt that huge, a celebration to pass into parenthood, to welcome our baby boy!

Everyone who came got a beautiful porcelain candle made by Eric's mom, Carla, with a candle to light when I go into labor to send us good vibes for the journey. I joked that everyone must stop what they are doing when they get my going into labor email and run to their candle. ( he.he. ) It was a funny vision.

We are feeling more & more ready to meet you baby, it won't be long now....3 1/2 weeks until my due date. My doctor says baby's head is down, he has dropped and I am feeling ready. Well almost....it could be any day.

Here is the drawing Eric did as a thank you card & the text I wrote to our friends & family:

Thank you for being a part of our Ohana Community!

In Hawaii they have a word for extended families which is
also part of Hawaiian culture. 'Ohana' means family in an
extended sense of the term including blood-related, adoptive
or intentional. We feel fortunate to be surrounded by such
wonderful creative individuals and look forward to having our
child meet you. We are both very inspired and respect the way
each one of you have carved out an individual life and feel that
there is a wonderful group of people around us to influence
our child.

We believe it takes a community to raise a child. No obligation,
only an invitation. Thanks again for coming to our Baby
Blessing Gathering either in person or in spirit! We feel even
more inspired to bring this child into the world knowing you all,
our Ohana, are out there!

with love, April & Eric + 1

1 comment:

Jackie said...

What a wonderful gathering. Eric's drawing is beautiful! I can't believe the time is nearly here for your son to make his debut. I'll definitely be checkng your blog more frequently so I don't miss this news :)