29 October 2008

It feels good to give & be involved!

I guess that is one of the reasons that ones' heart wants to parent? To give our precious baby o, ( who will come someday) love, support & to be involved in her life. The thing about giving, it seems to always give back in some form. I think giving opens the heart.

Speaking of giving.....lately as you know I have been very involved in our election for a certain Presidential candidate who starts with an O! I want our country to be a better place when baby o gets here. My gallery along with many of my artists & other jeweler friends participated in raising over $20k for Obama at the Fashioning Change show in San Francisco. It was incredible to be a conduit to help in what I feel is a life changing journey of Barack Obama (hopefully) to become our next president! (oooooh chills....) It was so exciting to see so many young people out at a presidential fundraiser. It was an incredible feeling to be part of and I am so looking forward to a change in our government. And what a good sign that the young people are inspired too!

A shot from Fashioning Change runway show featuring Ocelot Clothing & April Higashi
enamel jewelry.

As a jeweler, one aspect of my work is making wedding + commitment rings for my clients. I have been doing a lot of same-sex couples rings lately.

One day a month or so ago, a beautiful, thoughtful woman walked into my gallery and she was waiting for her partner to discuss rings. I said, "Are you marrying a man or a woman?" She had just married a woman and they would have there celebration party later. I love that I can ask that question, and I did so kind of matter of fact.

Turns out the three of us did a lot of work to find out what they wanted and I found them some unique & beautiful stones. When they received the quote, they felt very torn between spending the money on themselves as a sign of their commitment to each other or donating the money towards NO on Prop 8. No on Prop 8 is a proposition here in California which keeps the rights for ALL to marry.

I really felt deeply and strongly that this issue concerned me too. I offered to donate $500 towards OUR cause, of my profit so they may possibly do both. Now mind you I did this because I felt truly compelled that this cause aligned with my inner beliefs of equality.

The commission when forward, the clients were so touched they sent me a wonderful gift certificate to my absolute favorite restaurant. Now I was even more emotionally touched.

But more than that I am so glad I had the opportunity to contribute to something I believe in! And my clients gave me an opportunity to see and be touched by their lives, their struggles and their hopes. I can only respond to what touches me and be myself.

I am so excited
&
tense
&
excited
&
sad
&
ready to cry
(in joy or sadness)

for the outcome!

I'm still waiting for you baby o.....but in the meantime. I'm not sitting around!

p.s. please come soon.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

I am inspired by all of your beautiful efforts!

littlebluecottage said...

I'm hoping and wishing and scared and thinking of the future right there with you. I cannot wait for Tuesday.

Baby O will come. She will come. We'll be with you to celebrate both our country's future and your daughter's arrival.

Tina